Eight Ways to Be Green
Simple Ways to Be Green
- Unplug electrical cords when not in use. 40% of electricity for your electronic devices comes when they are not in use.
- Open windows for fresh air instead of running the air-conditioner
- Close the fireplace damper when not in use
- Only wash full loads of dishes and clothing
- Remove lint from the dryer filter after every use
- Cover pots and pans when cooking
- Use filtered tap water instead of bottled water
- Buy nontoxic cleaning products
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Use a programmable thermostat and cut your AC bill
Being Green at Work
- Set computers to energy-saving settings and make sure to shut them down when you leave for the day.
- The more you do online, the less paper you need to use.
- Buy recycled paper.
- Carpool or bike
- Bring your lunch to work. This cuts down on waste from takeout.
- Get your co-worker involved.
- There are plenty of natural products and methods to keep a house clean and fresh without using toxic products. Vinegar and baking soda can be used to clean almost anything. Just mix either with a little warm water and you have an all-purpose cleaner.
- Keeping your windows open allows the toxins to flow out, especially when you are cleaning.
- The FDA has found that antibacterial soaps and cleansers do not work better than regular soap and water and should be avoided.
- Keep any kind of broad green leaf plant in the house. They are good for filtering interior air.
- Take your shoes off! Shoes track in everything you have stepped on throughout the day into your home.
Don’t Forget the Three R’s
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Information gathered from the following websites: